MTech Power Systems Engineering
MTech (Power Systems Engineering) is a two-year postgraduate course in engineering that deals with the study of electric power systems. The course syllabus covers various topics such as electrical machines, power electronics, power systems analysis, power system stability, and power system defense. The course also contains a project work component, wherein students have to carry out a research project in an area of their interest.
MTech (Power Systems Engineering) is a course that is in high demand, due to the growing need for efficient and reliable electrical power systems. The course is suitable for students who have completed their B.Tech or BE in Electrical Engineering, or any other related field.
MTech Power System Engineering Course Highlights
MTech Power Systems Engineering
2 Years, Full Time
Passed Graduation in science specialization with 50% marks in aggregate
Entrance Exam, Interview and Counseling
Average Course fee
INR 14,000 to INR 3,00,000
Average Annual Salary
INR 4,62,000 to INR 6,55,000
Transmission engineer, Power engineer, Discom in charge, Supply manager
Top Recruiting Companies
BHEL, Fluor Corporation, Thermal Power Plants, Indian Railways
MTech Power Systems Engineering Admission Process
There are many colleges that offer MTech Power Systems Engineering. The admission progression may vary from one college to another, but most regularly it includes an entrance exam followed by an interview. Some of the popular entrance exams for MTech Power Systems Engineering are GATE, JEE Main, BITSAT, and VITEEE. The entrance exam will test your knowledge in many subjects such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. After clearing the entrance exam, you will be called for an interview, where you will be asked questions about your interest in the field of MTech Power Systems Engineering
MTech Power System Engineering Eligibility Criteria
eligibility requirements (Qualifying Exam)
Pass the B.Tech. (Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Instrumentation and Control, or Electronics and Instrumentation) or an equivalent degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 60%, subject to passing the qualifying LPUNEST or GATE.
Candidates from Sikkim and the North-East are given a 5% relaxation, as are those who are in the military and their dependents or who are the children of Kashmiri migrants.
MTech Power Systems Engineering Entrance Exams
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Power Systems Analysis and Design Exam (PSADE)
- Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Exam.
Preparation for MTech Power Systems Engineering Entrance Examinations
- Read up on the basics of electrical engineering and power systems. Entrance exams will often test your knowledge of these topics.
- Familiarize yourself with the specific exam you will be taking. Each exam will have its own format and focus.
- Study sample questions and practice exams. This will help you get a feel for the types of questions that will be asked and how to approach them.
- Make sure you are well rested and have a nutritious breakfast on the day of the exam. This will help you to think clearly and perform at your best.
- Relax and do your best. Remember that you have prepared well and just focus on doing your best on the exam.
Why Study MTech Power System Engineering Course
MTech Power System Engineering is a two-year postgraduate course in engineering, the minimum eligibility for which is BTech degree in the related discipline from a recognized university. The course is designed to train students in the various aspects of power system engineering, such as planning, operation, and control of power systems. The course program covers topics such as electrical machines, power electronics, power system analysis and stability, power system protection, and renewable energy sources MTech Power Systems Engineering
The course delivers students with an in-depth understanding of the several aspects of power system engineering and prepares them with the skills and knowledge required to work in this field. The course curriculum is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in the principles of electrical engineering and power system engineering. The course also provides students with the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems. The course is beneficial for students who want to pursue a career in power system engineering or in any other field of MTech Power Systems Engineering
MTech Power System Engineering Top Colleges
There are many great colleges for M.Tech Power System Engineering in India. Here are based on various factors such as reputation, research output, facilities, and more:
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli
- National Institute of Technology Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology Rourkela
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Nagpur
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology Surat
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology Bhopal
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
- P.E.S. Institute of Technology, Bangalore South Campus
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur
- National Institute of Technology Calicut
- National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Technology Hamirpur
MTech in Power System Engineering Syllabus
Power System Software Lab
Advanced Electrical Machines
Digital Control Systems
Power System Protection
Advanced Power Electronics
Industrial Automation Lab
Advanced Power System Analysis
Power System Operation & Control
Power Systems Stability
Microprocessors and their applications
Fast Transients in Power Systems
Energy Efficient Machines
Advanced Electrical Drives
Non-Conventional Energy Sources
Power System Reliability
Power System Planning
Power System Communication
Neural Networks & Fuzzy Logic
MTech Power System Engineering Books
- Introduction to Power System Engineering by J. Duncan Glover, Mulukutla S. Sarma, Thomas J. Overbye
- Power System Analysis and Design by J. Duncan Glover, Mulukutla S. Sarma, Thomas J. Overbye
- Power System Stability & Control by Prabha Kundur
- Power System Protection & Switchgear by Badri Ram, D. N. Vishwakarma
- Power System Operation and Control by B. R. Anderson, J. A. P. Millward
- Power System Analysis and Design, Fifth Edition by Glover, Sarma, Overbye
- Electric Power Systems: A First Course by Ashfaq Hussain
- Fundamentals of Power System Economics by Steven Stoft
- Power System Relaying, Third Edition by Paul M. Anderson
- Power System Dynamics: Stability and Control by K. R. Padiyar
MTech in Power System Engineering Job Profile
A Master of Technology (MTech) degree in Power System Engineering is a postgraduate program that focuses on the design, operation, and management of electrical power systems. Graduates with this degree may work in a variety of industries, including the electric power industry, renewable energy companies, and consulting firms.
Some potential job responsibilities for individuals with an MTech in Power System Engineering might include:
- Designing and analyzing electrical power systems, including transmission and distribution networks
- Developing and implementing control and protection systems MTech Power Systems Engineering
- Conducting studies to assess the feasibility and reliability of MTech Power Systems Engineering
- Monitoring and analyzing power system performance, and identifying and addressing any problems or potential improvements
- Participating in the planning and execution of power system upgrades and expansion projects
- Providing technical support and expertise to clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders MTech Power Systems Engineering
Overall, an MTech in Power System Engineering can lead to a rewarding career in a variety of industries where a thorough understanding of electrical power systems is crucial.
Future Scope of MTech Power System Engineers
Power systems engineering is a field of engineering that motivates the design, analysis, and control of electric power systems. Power system engineers are in control of ensuring that the electric MTech Power Systems Engineering that provide electricity to homes, businesses, and industries are reliable, efficient, and sustainable. The future of power systems engineering is expected to be influenced by a number of factors, including the growing use of renewable energy sources, the mixing of distributed energy resources, and the development of new technologies for managing and controlling MTech Power Systems Engineering
As the demand for clean, reliable, and affordable electricity remains to grow, there will likely be a need for skilled power system engineers to support design and manage these complex systems.
One potential area of growth for power systems engineering is in the growth of smart grid technologies. A smart grid is an advanced power system that uses digital technologies to expand the efficiency, reliability, and sustainability of the electricity supply. MTech Power Systems Engineering may play a key role in the growth
and deployment of smart grid technologies, helping to ensure that the grid can adapt to changing demands and integrate renewable energy sources. MTech Power Systems Engineering
Another potential area of growth for power systems engineering is in the development of microgrids. MTech Power Systems Engineering
A microgrid is a small-scale power system that can operate independently or in conjunction with the larger power grid. Power system engineers may be elaborate in the design and management of microgrids, helping to ensure that they are reliable, efficient, and able to integrate renewable energy sources.
What is MTech Power Systems Engineering?
M.Tech Power Systems Engineering is a postgraduate program that focuses on the design, analysis, and control of power systems, including the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical energy.
What are the eligibility criteria for MTech Power Systems Engineering?
The eligibility criteria for MTech Power Systems Engineering typically include a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field, with a minimum aggregate score of 55-60% (varies across institutions).
What are the career opportunities after MTech Power Systems Engineering?
After completing MTech Power Systems Engineering, students can find job opportunities as power systems engineers, electrical engineers, control systems engineers, research and development engineers, system analysts, and more.
Also Read About This Course – MTech Software Engineering