MTech Chemical Engineering
MTech Chemical Engineering is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on advanced topics in chemical engineering. Chemical engineers apply principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and mathematics to solve problems associated with the production of chemicals and materials. In an MTech Chemical Engineering program, students learn advanced concepts and techniques of chemical kinetics, transport phenomena, process design and optimization, and environmental engineering. They also gain practical experience of finishing laboratory work and project-based learning. The degree takes two years to complete and can lead to career opportunities in a variety of industries, including petrochemical, pharmaceutical, and environmental engineering.
MTech Chemical Engineering Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Full-Form||Master of Technology in Chemical Engineering|
|Examination type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in Graduation (BE/BTech)|
|Admission Process||A valid score in GATE, IIT-JAM, JEE, PGCET|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 2,30,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3.2 Lacs – 8.5 lacs LPA (varies country-wise)|
|Top Recruiters||Reliance Industries, Oil & Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC), Bharat Petroleum, TATA Chemicals, Indian Oil, Dr. Reddy’s, Nayara Energy, Hindustan Petroleum, Aarti Industries, Eastman|
|Job Profile||Process engineer, Head plant engineer, Quality control manager, Biotechnologist, Chemical engineer, Colour technologist, Energy engineer, Nuclear engineer, Petroleum engineer and Product/process development scientist.|
|Employment Areas||Chemical Production and Process Companies, Petrochemical Companies and Oil Refineries, Polymer manufacture company|
Why MTech Chemical Engineering?
There are many reasons behind choosing MTech in Chemical Engineering:
- Advanced information and skills: An MTech program offers specialized knowledge and advanced technical skills in chemical engineering, helping graduates excel in the job market and advance their careers.
- Career advancement: An MTech degree can help chemical engineers to reach at higher-level job roles like project manager or technical director and explore new career paths in specialized areas of chemical engineering.
- Research experience: MTech programs often have a research component that offers valuable experience in conducting and presenting original research. This is helpful for those interested in pursuing a PhD or a research-focused career.
- Increased earning potential: Chemical engineers earn a higher median wage than other occupations, as per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Getting an MTech degree can further boost earning potential.
Overall, an MTech in Chemical Engineering can provide valuable knowledge and skills, and enhance career opportunities, and increase earning potential.
MTech Chemical Engineering Admission Process
The M.Tech admission process in India may vary based on institute rules and regulations. A postgraduate program lasting two years full-time. Interested candidates for the Master’s program can apply online or offline to the respective schools or universities. (the KPGCET is held offline).
Most institutions use entrance-based admissions, but some also offer merit-based admissions. BTech Chemical Engineering or BTech in any other discipline of engineering, both are applicable on the basis of merit.
Eligibility Criteria for MTech Chemical Engineering
MTech Chemical Engineering eligibility criteria vary among institutes, The required conditions are listed below.
- An individual with a B.E./B.Tech degree from an accredited university in a related field.
- The candidate’s graduation average grade point must be at least 55%. (special provision for reserved candidates).
- Final-year candidates or those awaiting results can also apply for the program.
To be eligible for an MTech Chemical Engineering program, you generally need a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering or a related field, a specific score on a standardized test, and/or some work experience. Check with the institution for specific requirements.
MTech Chemical Engineering Syllabus
|SEMESTER I||SEMESTER II|
|Advanced Separation Process||Fuel Cell Technology|
|Computational Techniques in Chemical Engineering||Polymer Dynamics|
|Chemical Reactor Analysis and Design||Nanotechnology|
|Process Modelling and Simulation||Chemical Process Design|
|Advanced Process Control||Advances in Fluidization Engineering|
|SEMESTER III||SEMESTER IV|
|Project Work – Phase I||Project Work – Phase II|
|Wastewater and Solid Waste Treatment||Bio Energy and Bio Refinery Engineering|
|Industrial Energy Systems||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
|Multiphase Flow||Ecology for Engineers|
|Bioprocess Engineering||Process Optimization|
MTech Chemical Engineering Entrance Exams
Most institutions like IIT and NIT have entrance-based admissions and B.E./B.Tech. marks are considered during final counseling only. Some of the exams are mention below:
- GATE: an all-Indian examination administered by IITs and IIScs, The GATE Exam, takes place annually in February as a computer-based test.
- The Karnataka Examination Authority conducts the PGCET exam for the Hyderabad-Karnataka region. The exam is paper-based and lasts for 150 minutes. Candidates can apply for seats in that region.
- The JEE is a popular entrance exam in India for MTech programs. It’s conducted by the NTA and used for admissions to engineering and technology institutes at the national level. The exam consists of two papers, JEE Pre or Mains.
- Admission to MTech programs in chemical engineering includes the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and the Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test (IIT-JAM).
Check with the institution you’re applying to for their specific entrance exam requirements. Some institutions may not require an exam, while others may have their own exams or use a combination of exams.
Prepare for MTech Chemical Engineering Entrance Exams
To prepare for an MTech Chemical Engineering entrance exam, you can follow these steps:
- Familiarize yourself with the exam format and content: To prepare for the exam, first, learn about its format and content. Check the exam website or the institute you’re applying to for this information.
- Develop a study plan: Create a plan for study, List what and when to study. Divide study time into manageable chunks and concentrate on one topic at a time.
- Use study materials and resources: To prepare for the exam, use study materials like practice test papers and review books. They are valuable for practicing and identifying your strengths and weaknesses.
- Attend review classes or hire a tutor: Attend review classes or hire a teacher to prepare for the exam. They offer extra guidance and support, helping you focus on studying effectively.
- Take practice tests: Take simulated practice tests to understand the exam format and pinpoint areas for improvement. These tests enhance test-taking endurance and time management.
Overall, preparing for an MTech Chemical Engineering entrance exam involves Training yourself on the exam format and content, Creating a study plan, Utilizing study materials and resources, Consider attending review classes or hiring a tutor, Take practice tests.
MTech Chemical Engineering Top Colleges
MTech Chemical Engineering Jobs
A degree in chemical engineering can open up an extensive range of job opportunities in various industries. Some common job roles for chemical engineering graduates include:
- Process engineer
- Head plant engineer
- Quality control manager
- Chemical engineer
- Colour technologist
- Energy engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Petroleum engineer
- Product/process development scientist
Chemical engineers can work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, food & beverage, and environmental technology. With additional education and experience, chemical engineers may also pursue management or leadership roles within their organizations.
MTech Chemical Engineering Future Scope
The field of chemical engineering is continually evolving and offers many opportunities for growth and advancement. As industries grow and innovate, there will be a higher demand for chemical engineers who can plan and create efficient processes. Chemical engineering is closely linked to advancements in renewable energy, biotechnology, and environmental protection, which are important areas for the future.
Also, Read About This Course – MTech Chemical Engineering
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the duration of the MTech Chemical Engineering course?
The duration of the MTech Chemical Engineering course is typically 2 years.
What are the eligibility criteria for MTech Chemical Engineering?
The eligibility criteria for MTech Chemical Engineering is typically a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field.
What are the areas of specialization offered in MTech Chemical Engineering?
Areas of specialization offered in MTech Chemical Engineering may include: Process Control and Instrumentation, Process Design and Development, Biochemical Engineering, Petroleum and Gas Engineering, and others.
What are the career opportunities after MTech Chemical Engineering?
Career opportunities after MTech Chemical Engineering include positions in research and development, process design and optimization, project management, biotechnology, and environmental engineering.
Are there any entrance exams required for MTech Chemical Engineering?
Entrance exams may be required for MTech Chemical Engineering. Some institutes may conduct their own entrance exams while others may accept scores from national level exams like GATE.
Are there any online MTech Chemical Engineering courses available?
There may be some online MTech Chemical Engineering courses available. It’s best to check with the institute you’re interested in to see if they offer any online options.