Master of Business Administration (MBA)
MBA full form is “Master in Business Administration.” MBA is a popular postgraduate course in India and around the world. An MBA degree is required for most executive level jobs across the state and region, which is why a large number of BTech, BBA, BCom, BA, BCA, and BSc degree holders now pursue an MBA post graduation.
What is an MBA?
MBA is an internationally recognised degree that plans to develop the skills required for careers in business and management. However, the limitations of an MBA are not restricted to the business world, as it can be useful for those pursuing a managerial career in the public sector, government, private industry, and other areas.
MBA can include subjects like organisational behavior, marketing, principles of management, supply chain management, etc., and the top recruiters for MBA are Amazon, Apple, Facebook, etc. The roles on offer for MBA candidates are generally in middle management: HR Manager, Product Manager, Strategy Manager, etc.
MBA Course Overview
MBA is a two-year programme available only after graduation. The given table indicates the key highlights of the MBA course:
MBA Full Form
Master of Business Administration
Types of MBA
Full time MBA, Distance MBA, Part-Time MBA, Online MBA, Integrated MBA, and Executive MBA
MBA Course Fees
INR 2 lakh – 7 lakh and above
MBA Admission Process
Entrance Exam + Personal interview + Group discussion
Top MBA Colleges
There are 500+ colleges in India offering full time MBA. Most popular colleges include IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow and among others.
Top MBA Entrance Exam
CAT, MAT, XAT,CMAT etc.
Top MBA Specialisations
Sales, Marketing, Human Resources, Digital Marketing, operations, Finance and many more
Average Salary post MBA
INR 5 lakh to 25 lakh per annum
Top Recruiters post MBA
Amazon, Facebook, Google, Adobe, Boston Consulting Group etc.
MBA Course: Highlights
- MBA is a popular course because it is open to students from all disciplines (science, arts, and commerce).
- A regular MBA is two years long, as it can be divided into four semesters. But some of the institutes offer one-year PGDM programmes as well.
- An MBA can be obtained in a variety of formats, including full-time, distance learning, online, and part-time.Interested candidates can also have their programming tailored to their professional background, such as an executive MBA.
- Many institutions provide or offer a Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), a Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD), or a Post-Graduate Program in Management (PGP) instead of an MBA degree. There is a difference between these two, but only in knowledge.
- A full-time MBA is the most popular degree among the education modes. as it includes theory classes, practical projects, student exchange programs, internships, and their placements.
- Online MBA, part-time MBA, and distance MBA are only for those candidates who wish to study while working.
- Fresh graduates as well as candidates with the five years of experience needed for a full-time MBA Some colleges prefer fresh graduates, while some give higher preference to candidates with five years of experience.
Types of MBA courses
MBA is a course available in various modes and formats. MBA courses are mainly in high demand, and various types of MBA courses have appeared, each focusing on different ranks of students. Individuals who are currently employed can pursue an executive MBA, a distance MBA, or an online MBA. Multiple types of MBA courses are listed below.
The full-time MBA regular programme lasts two years. Its residential component includes theory classes, practical projects, student exchange programs, internships, and their placements. The full-time MBA fee ranges from INR 2–25 lakh per annum. Full-time MBA courses are the most popular postgraduate programmes pursued by graduates from top streams such as BTech, BCA, BCom, BBA, etc. The candidate can belong to any stream and pursue an MBA.
The Executive MBA is a part-time MBA programme that is designed for professionals with considerable work experience of more than five years. The EMBA is a one-year course useful for managers, entrepreneurs, and business leaders. The course is similar to a full-time MBA, but it has a shorter duration.
A part-time MBA is not a residential programme and is best for working professionals who wish to learn managerial skills. In these MBA programs, candidates don’t have campus placement or internship opportunities. Both private colleges and government universities offer these part-time MBA programs.
In a distance MBA, the candidate can pursue this programme by means of remote communication and correlation. These courses are designed for people who have limited time and resources, as they are cheap and flexible for candidates. Candidates can complete this course in two to five years due to its flexibility.
Online MBA programmes can be completed in one to four years. It is a part-time, UGC-approved MBA course; there are no physical classes in an online MBA, as you can pursue it while sitting in another city.
- Students who want to study for an MBA abroad must complete their 16 years of education, which means they must complete 12 years of schooling and 4 years of graduation.
- To gain admission to an MBA programme in another country, one must first compete or pass the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT), as well as the language proficiency tests Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- The cost of an MBA abroad is too high, up to INR 8 lakhs and even a few crores in some cases, but there are plenty of MBA scholarships available for candidates.
- A bachelor’s degree with 50% marks in business or related fields meets the MBA Abroad eligibility criteria. The best MBA colleges in the world ask for work experience ranging from 3 to 5 years. Some countries in the world with an MBA programme abroad are:
MBA in Germany
MBA in USA
MBA in Canada
MBA in Australia
MBA Eligibility Criteria
The full-time MBA criteria are as follows:
- The basic eligibility criteria for a full-time MBA degree from any discipline from a recognised university
- Most of the institutes follow the rule of requiring a minimum of 50% of the marks obtained for graduation.
- Students in the Reserved category must achieve a minimum aggregate score of 45%.
- Final-year graduation candidates are also eligible to apply for an MBA.
- Professionals with CA, CS, ICWA and other degrees can also pursue an MBA.
MBA Skill Set
Below is a table that shows some skills that are required for the MBA/PGDM course:
Good communication skills
Strong mathematical skills
Eye for detail
Goal-oriented & ability to work under pressure
MBA Admissions 2023
MBA admission arises through national-level entrance exams like the MAT, GMAT, and CAT. Candidates can also sit for university- and state-level exams such as SNAP, XAT, MHT-CET, etc. to seek admission to the MBA course. test conducted by a university for admission to MBA programmes being offered by colleges that are associated with it, such as KIITEE, LUMET, and HPU MAT.
As such, MBA admissions are based on group discussions and personal interviews after the clearance of the entrance exams. The institutes use PI/GD to examine each aspirant’s qualities that cannot be measured by their admission exam result or academic score.
MBA Entrance Exam 2023
CAT, MAT, GMAT, etc. are all popular entrance exams in India. MBA admission to tier 1 and tier 2 colleges is based on the entrance exam score. Other appearance exams for the MBA are mostly limited to a specific state or institute.
MBA Syllabus 2023
The MBA curriculum is divided into four semesters. The MBA curriculum is designed to meet industry standards and assist students in obtaining appropriate placements. The first two semesters deal with mostly core and theory subjects. There is an obligatory internship in the 4th semester. Students begin with core subjects such as organisational behaviour, marketing, and the principles of management, and in their second year, they deal with subjects such as entrepreneurship and business law, among others. The MBA course includes the following topics.
- HR management
- Business planning
- Finance management
- Principles of management
- Business laws
- Communication skills
- Business Communication
- Computer Application
- Organisational behaviour
- Retail management
- Project work
- Business environment
MBA Syllabus Semester Wise
MBA Syllabus, Semester I
Human Resource Management
information technology management
MBA Syllabus, Semester II
Organization Effectiveness and Change
Business Economic Environment
Management of Information Systems
MBA Syllabus, Semester III
Business ethics and corporate social responsibility
Business Legal Environment
MBA Syllabus, Semester- IV
International Business Environment
Top MBA Colleges
There are about 5,000 MBA colleges in India. Candidates can select MBA colleges based on their interest in a specific MBA specialization, fees, location, placements, infrastructure, and entrance exam scores.Most of the top colleges and tier 1 MBA colleges are tough to get into, as their selection criteria are very exacting. They choose the best, so one needs to really work hard to clear the GMAT or CAT with good scores.
On the other hand, getting into a Tier 2 or Tier 3 MBA college is easier. Their admission cut-offs are not as high as those of the crème colleges, such as IIMs, XLRI, MDI, SPJIMR, FMS, and IMT.
MBA colleges in Nagpur
There are many MBA colleges in Nagpur, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. You will need to do your research to figure out which college is the best fit for you and your career goals.
Some of the top MBA colleges in Nagpur include the
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM),
- IMT Nagpur
- Dr Ambedkar Institute of Management and Research, Nagpur
- TIME Nagpur – Tirpude Institute of Management Education
- RTMNU Nagpur – Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur UniversityDr Ambedkar
- Institute of Management Studies and Research, Nagpur
- CPC Nagpur – City Premier College
- GH Raisoni School of Business Management, Nagpur
- Kamla Nehru Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur
- the Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB),
- the Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies (SIMS).
Each of these colleges has a reputation for producing high-quality graduates who go on to successful careers in business.
MBA colleges in Ahmedabad
There are many MBA colleges in Ahmedabad, some of which are:
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
- Nirma University
- Ahmedabad University
- AHMEDABADKABIR INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES – [SKIPS], AHMEDABAD
- INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, NIRMA UNIVERSITY, AHMEDABAD
- HANTI BUSINESS SCHOOL – [SBS], AHMEDABAD
- NIRMA UNIVERSITY – [NU], AHMEDABAD
- ICFAI BUSINESS SCHOOL – [IBS], AHMEDABAD
- CEPT UNIVERSITY, AHMEDABAD
- NARAYANA BUSINESS SCHOOL – [NBS], AHMEDABAD
- INDUS UNIVERSITY, AHMEDABAD
- GLS UNIVERSITY, AHMEDABAD
- INDIAN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION – [ISBM], AHMEDABAD
- AHMEDABAD MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION, AHMEDABAD
- B K SCHOOL OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, AHMEDABAD
- ASIA PACIFIC INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT – [APIM], AHMEDABAD
- K.S SCHOOL OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT- [KSSBM], AHMEDABAD
- RAI UNIVERSITY – [RU], AHMEDABAD
Each of these colleges has their own unique strengths and weaknesses, so it is important to do your research to see which one would be the best fit for you. I hope this helps!
MBA colleges in Indore
There are many MBA colleges in Indore, but here are a few of the most popular ones:
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
- Prestige Institute of Management and Research
- RKDF Institute of Management and Technology
- Indore Institute of Management and Research
- MAEER’s MIT School of Business
MBA Career Scope: Jobs-Roles, and Salary
Find below prospective job roles and salaries after completing an MBA course:
Human Resources Manager
Data Analytics Manager
Digital Marketing Manager
Advertising Sales Manager
There are many job roles, and MBA degree holders include team leads and managers of the department. As such, a manager’s job profile includes planning, strategizing, executing, leading the team, maintaining liaison with clients, coordinating with other departments, delegating work and responsibilities, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an MBA degree?
An MBA (Master of Business Administration) is a graduate-level degree program that focuses on advanced coursework and research in the areas of business management and administration.
What are the eligibility criteria for an MBA?
The eligibility criteria vary depending on the institution, but generally, students need to have a bachelor's degree in any field and should have qualified an entrance examination such as CAT, GMAT, and other similar exams.
What are the subjects studied in an MBA program?
Subjects typically studied in an MBA program include finance, marketing, accounting, operations management, strategy, and leadership.
How long does it take to complete an MBA program?
An MBA program typically takes 2 years to complete. Some institutions offer part-time or executive MBA programs that can be completed in a longer duration.
What are the career opportunities after completing an MBA?
MBA graduates can pursue a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as finance, marketing, consulting, and operations management. They can also work in roles such as managers, consultants, business development managers, and entrepreneurs.
What are the specializations offered in MBA?
Specializations offered in MBA programs include finance, marketing, human resources, operations, information technology, international business, and healthcare management.