Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The full form of MBA is Master in Business Administration. MBA is one of the most popular postgraduate courses in India as well as in Abroad. For most of the executive level jobs across state and region an MBA degree is a necessity which is why, nowadays a large number of BTech, BBA, BCom, BA, BCA, BSc degree holders for MBA in post graduation.
Table of Content
- What is an MBA?
- MBA Course Overview
- MBA Course Key Highlight
- What are the Types of MBA Courses?
- MBA Abroad
- MBA Eligibility Criteria
- MBA Admission
- MBA Entrance Exam
- MBA Syllabus
- MBA Top colleges
- MBA Career Scope : Jobs Roles and Salary
- Top MBA Colleges in India for Placements
- Scope of MBA: Top Companies and Recruiters
What is an MBA ?
MBA is an internationally recognised degree which plans to develop the skills required for careers in business and management. However , the limitation of MBA is not restricted to the business world such as it can be useful for those pursuing a managerial career in the public sector, government, private industry, and other areas.
MBA can include subjects like Organisational Behaviour, Marketing, Principles of Management, Supply Chain Management etc. with the top recruiters for MBA are Amazon, Apple, Facebook etc. The roles on offer for MBA candidates are generally of middle management are HR Manager, Product Manager, Strategy Manager etc.
MBA Courses Overview
MBA is a two years course which can be pursued only after the completion of graduation. Given table indicates the key highlights of MBA course:
MBA Full Name
Master of Business Administration
Types of MBA
Full time MBA, Distance MBA, Part-Time MBA, Online MBA, Integrated MBA, and Executive MBA
MBA Course Fees
INR 2 lakh 7 lakh and above
MBA Admission Process
Entrance Exam + Personal interview + Group discussion
Top MBA Colleges
There are 500+ colleges in India offering full time MBA. Most popular colleges include IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow and among others.
Top MBA Entrance Exam
CAT, MAT, XAT,CMAT etc.
Top MBA Specialisations
Sales, Marketing, Human Resources, Digital Marketing, operations, Finance and many more
Average Salary post MBA
INR 5 lakh to 25 lakh per annum
Top Recruiters post MBA
Amazon, Facebook, Google, Adobe, Boston Consulting Group etc.
MBA Course Highlights
- MBA is a popular course because students of any stream can do science, arts and commerce can pursue it.
- A regular MBA is of two-years as it can be divided into four semesters. But some of the institutes offer one year PGDM programmes as well.
- One can pursue MBA in various modes such as Full-Time, Distance and online , Part-Time. Interested candidates can also find their programming customised based on their professional experience such as Executive MBA.
- Many institutions provide or offer Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), Post-Graduate Diploma(PGD) or Post-Graduate Programming(PGP) Management instead of giving them an MBA degree. There is a difference between these two , but only for the knowledge.
- Full-time MBA is the most popular degree among the education modes. As it includes theory classes, practical projects, student exchange programs, internships and their placements.
- Online MBA, Part-time MBA and Distance MBA is only for those candidates who wish to study while working.
- Fresh Graduate as well as the candidates with the five years of experience for full time MBA. Some colleges prefer fresh graduates while some colleges give higher preference to candidates with five years of experience.
Types of MBA courses
MBA is a course available in modes and formats. MBA courses are mainly in high demand and various Types of MBA courses have appeared, each focusing on different ranks of the students. Individuals who are currently employed can pursue Executive MBA, a Distance MBA, or an Online MBA. Multiple types of MBA courses are listed below.
Full-Time MBA regular program is of two years. Its residential includes theory classes, practical projects, student exchange programs, internships and their placements. The full-time MBA fee ranges from INR 2 25 Lakh per annum. Full-time MBA courses are the most popular postgraduate programs pursued by graduates from top streams such as BTech, BCA, BCom, BBA, etc. The candidate can belong to any stream can pursue in MBA.
Executive MBA is a part time MBA program which is designed for professionals with considerable working experience of more than five years. EMBA is a one year course useful for managers, entrepreneurs, and for business leaders. The course is similar to Full-time MBA but it is of a shorter duration.
Part-time MBA is not a residential programme and best for working professionals who wish to learn managerial skills. In these MBA programmes candidates don’t have campus placement and internship opportunities. Both private colleges and government universities offer these part-time MBA programs.
In distance MBA the candidate can pursue this programme by remote communication and correlation. These courses are designed for people who have limited time and resources as it is cheap and flexible for candidates. The flexibility of this course is that candidates can complete the course in two to five years.
Online MBA courses can be completed in a duration of 1-4 years. It is a part-time UGC Approved MBA course, there are no physical classes in online MBA as you can pursue this while sitting in another city.
- Students who want to study for an MBA from abroad must complete their 16 years of education which means students must complete 12 years of schooling and 4 years of graduation.
- One needs essentially to fight or crack Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT), along with the language proficiency test Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to secure admission in MBA for Abroad.
- The cost of an MBA Abroad is too high, up to INR 8 lakhs and even a few crores in some cases but there are plenty of MBA scholarships available for candidates.
- A bachelor’s degree with 50% marks in business or related fields in the MBA Abroad eligibility criteria. Best MBA colleges in the world ask for work experience of 3 to 5 years. Some countries in the world with abroad MBA are:
MBA in Germany
MBA in USA
MBA in Canada
MBA in Australia
MBA Eligibility Criteria
Full-Time MBA criteria are as follow:
- The basic eligibility criteria for full-time MBA graduation from any discipline from a recognised university.
- Most of the institutes follow the rule of minimum score criteria in Graduation of 50% of marks obtained.
- Students from Reserved category need to score a minimum number of percent that is aggregate of 45%.
- Final year graduation candidates are also eligible to apply for MBA.
- Professionals with CA/CS/ICWA and other degrees can also pursue MBA
MBA Skill Set
Below table show some skills that is required for MBA/ PGDM course :
Good communication skills
Strong mathematical skills
Eye for detail
Goal-oriented & ability to work under pressure
MBA Admission arises through National-level entrance exams like MAT, GMAT, CAT. Candidates can also sit for university and state-level Exams such as SNAP, XAT, MHT-CET, etc. to seek admission to the MBA course. Test conducted by a university for admission to MBA programmes being offered by colleges that are associated with it such as KIITEE, LUMET, HPU MAT.
As such MBA admissions are based on group discussions and personal interviews after the clearance of the entrance exams. The institutes use PI/GD to examine each aspirant’s quality that cannot be measured by their admission exam result or academic score.
MBA Entrance Exam
CAT, MAT, GMAT etc. all are the popular entrance exams in India. MBA admission to tier 1 and tier 2 colleges is based on the entrance exam score. Other appearance exams for MBA are mostly limited to a specific state or institute.
MBA syllabus is divided into 4 semesters. The MBA Syllabus is ranged according to industry standards and helps the student get proper placements. The first, two semesters deal with mostly core and theory subjects. There is an obligatory internship in the 4th semester. Students begin with core syllabus such as Organisational Behaviour, Marketing, Principles of Management and in second year, they deal with subjects such as Entrepreneurship and Business Law, among others. some of the subjects in MBA course:
- HR management
- Business planning
- Finance management
- Principles of management
- Business laws
- Communication skills
- Business Communication
- Computer Application
- Organisational behaviour
- Retail management
- Project work
- Business environment
MBA Syllabus Semester Wise
MBA courses are divided into 4-6 semesters across two years. The given subjects below are divided as semester wise.
MBA Syllabus Semester- I
Human Resource Management
Information Technology Management
MBA Syllabus Semester- II
Organisation Effectiveness and Change
Economic Environment of Business
Management of Information System
MBA Syllabus Semester- III
Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility
Legal Environment of Business
MBA Syllabus Semester- IV
International Business Environment
MBA Top Colleges
There are about 5,000 MBA colleges in India. Candidates can choose MBA colleges of their interest and their choice in the certain MBA specialisation, fees, location, placements, infrastructure, and marks scored in an entrance exam. Most of the top colleges and tier 1 MBA colleges are tough to get into, as their selection criteria are very exacting. They choose the best , so one needs to really work hard in clearing GMAT or CAT with good scores.
On the other hand, getting a tier 2-3 MBA college is easier. Their admission cut offs are not very high as the cut off of crème colleges are too high such as IIMs, XLRI, MDI, SPJIMR, FMS, IMT, etc.
View Top Colleges by Location
Pune and Bangalore are considered the hubs of MBA education but Kolkata, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Delhi also swank some of the top ranked B-Schools.
MBA Career Scope: Jobs Roles and Salary
Find below prospective job roles and salary after completing an MBA Course::
Human Resources Manager
Data Analytics Manager
Digital Marketing Manager
Advertising Sales Manager
There are many job roles and MBA degree holders include team lead and managerial responsibility of the department. As such manager’s job profile includes planning, strategising, execution, leading the team, liaison with clients, coordinating with other departments, delegation of work and responsibilities, etc.
Top MBA Colleges in India for Placements
There are top 30 colleges in India for MBA as per MHRD-NIRF rankings. Also, mentioned are the average CTC offers made during latest campus placements. The below table shows only some institutes but there are many more.
MHRD-NIRF Ranking 2021
Average CTC 2021 (INR)
Scope of MBA: Top Companies and Recruiters
The scope of an MBA is huge in the current job market.MBA graduates are in high demand in every industry and every domain. Most of the MBA institutes or colleges provide campus placement to their students on completion of the full-time MBA course for a smooth beginning of their career.All organisations big and small, private and government, hire MBA holders for their company in various capacities. Top companies that hire MBA graduates through campus placements as such only few companies are written down but there are many more top companies for recruiters.
MBA Top Recruiters
Larsen & Tubro