B.Tech. (Chemical Engineering)
If you want to make a career in chemical engineering and want to know how to become a chemical engineer, then read this article completely. Here, complete information about chemical engineering is shared. Complete information on how to become a chemical engineer
It has also been mentioned that after completing a chemical engineering course, you will be able to work in certain areas. What is the salary of a chemical engineer? What does a chemical engineer do? In this article, complete information about choosing chemical engineering as a career has been shared.
What is chemical engineering?
- Let us first define chemical engineering. So, friends, if you understand chemical engineering in simple terms, it is a branch of science or technology. in which many processes and principles are applied to raw materials or chemicals and they are converted into useful products.
- In chemical engineering, chemical engineers work on the quality and maintenance of products by using the concepts of chemistry, biology, physics, math, etc.
How to become a Chemical Engineer?
Chemical Engineers pursue careers in areas such as laboratories, industry, the health sector, food factories, and so on after completing chemical engineering courses. Let us tell you that chemical engineers play an important role in the production and development of chemical substances.
To become a chemical engineer, you take a chemical engineering diploma, bachelor’s, and master’s degree courses, etc. After doing this course, you can work in posts like site engineer, chemical engineer, and technical operator.
Eligibility to become a Chemical Engineer
The eligibility criteria to become a chemical engineer may differ from college to college. Many colleges take admission through an entrance exam, while on the other hand, it is done through direct admission. The eligibility criteria are also prescribed for different courses in chemical engineering.
The student must be in at least the tenth grade to enroll in the Chemical Engineer Diploma program. Science and math should be the main subjects in high school.
Undergraduate (UG) Course
- To do a chemical engineering undergraduate degree course, the student should be a 12th grader.
- Intermediate in Physics, Chemistry, and Math with a minimum of 50% in each subject.
- The student should have qualified for the entrance examination for chemical engineering conducted by the university or institute.
Postgraduate (PG) Course
- For Chemical Engineering Post-Graduation, students should have completed a bachelor’s degree course in a relevant field.
- Cleared examinations recognised by the institute, such as GATE, etc.
- The student should have at least 50–60% marks in the undergraduate course.
Chemical Engineering Courses
As we know, to become a chemical engineer, you have to do a diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral course. So let’s talk about the course to become a chemical engineer.
Chemical Engineering Diploma Course
This diploma course is a 3-year, full-time course after class 10th. If you have at least 50% marks in your diploma course, you can take direct admission in the second year of an undergraduate engineering degree course.
Undergraduate Course (Bachelor of Technology)
This is a 4-year course. Conceptual learning and theoretical and practical knowledge are given to the students in the bachelor’s degree course. In Chemical Engineering (BE or BTech), students develop technical training for industrial work.
Postgraduate (Master of Technology)
It is a 2-year course after graduation. The PG course provides industrial knowledge in the particular field of chemical engineering to the student.
Doctoral Course (Ph.D.)
PhDs are done by such students who have completed their postgraduate work with at least 50% marks.
Entrance Exam for Chemical Engineering
Many entrance exams are conducted for chemical engineering at the university, state, and national levels. All eligible students can apply for this entrance exam. Admission to IITs is done through the JEE Main and JEE Advanced entrance exams.
JEE Main: The exam is conducted every year by the NDA, and, through JEE Mains, there is admission to colleges like NI and, CFTI. JE Main and, JE Advance are preliminary exams.
Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT CET): The examination is conducted at the state level in the state of Maharashtra for engineering courses.
GATE : This exam is conducted for admission to postgraduate engineering courses (M or /MTech).
Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT): This exam is conducted by BITS Pilani for admission to undergraduate engineering courses. It has campuses in Pilani, Goa, and Hyderabad.
SRM University of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam: This is a university-level entrance exam through which admission to the SRM Group Institute takes place.
Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE) : The examination is conducted every year by the Vellore Institute.
Career Scope in Chemical Engineering
After completing a chemical engineering course, candidates can make a better career in the chemical engineering field. Taking chemical engineering courses at a good technical college will help you get a good job. As a chemical engineering professional, you can work in both private and public organizations.
chemical engineering jobs
You can work in a variety of industries after completing a chemical engineering course. can work on different job profiles.
Chemical Engineer: Chemical engineers are responsible for designing and developing chemical processes. They also solve problems faced in the development of fuels, drugs, and other products.
Lecturer: After doing a master’s degree course in chemical engineering, you can also become a lecturer at the institute from Sleepy College.
- Analytical Chemist
- Mining Engineer
- Energy Manager
- Chemical Engineer in Development
Job Fields after Chemical Engineering
Chemical engineers work as chemical engineers in a variety of industries. such as
- Petroleum industry
- Food industry
- Textile industry
- Chemical manufacturing industry
- Rubber industry
- Paper industry
- Plastics industry
- Cement industry
- Public sector industry
- Fertilizer industry
Government / Public Sector
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- Coal India Limited (CIL)
- Gas Authority Of India Limited
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Steel Authority of India Limited
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
How Much Chemical Engineer Salary
The salary of a chemical engineer depends on his job profile, job area, and work experience.
- Market Analyst – Annual Salary approx. 5 to INR 800000
- Chemical Engineer – Annual Salary approx. 4 to INR 800000
- Site Engineer – Annual Salary Approx. 4 to INR 600000
- Energy Manager – Annual Salary Approx. 6 to INR 800000
- Mining Engineer – Annual Salary 7 to INR 800000
Chemical Engineering Course Fee
- Chemical engineering fees depend on your college, selected courses, etc.
- In a government college, undergraduate degree courses cost between INR 6,000 and INR 1,000,000.
- Private colleges charge between INR 30000 and INR 400000.
- The fees for a chemical engineering diploma course range from INR 2000 to INR 80000 in a government college and from INR 20000 to INR 300000 in a private college.
- The fees for a chemical engineering postgraduate course in a government college range from INR 2000 to INR 1000,000. Private colleges charge between INR 50000 and INR 120000.
Skills Required to Become a Chemical Engineer
To make a better career in the chemical engineering field, there should be some necessary skills along with knowledge and awareness. such as an interest in chemical experiments, problem-solving skills, commercial awareness, analytical skills, technical knowledge, data collection and analysis, operational skills, etc.
Chemical Engineering Subject
There are many subjects covered in different courses in chemical engineering. There are also experiments and practicals.
Chemical Engineering Bachelor Degree Subjects – Engineering Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Study of Chemical Reactors, Applied Mathematics, Chemical Engineering Lab Practice etc.
Chemical Engineering Master’s Degree Subjects – Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Advanced Process Control, Process Optimization, Composite Materials etc.
Best Colleges and Fees in India for Chemical Engineering
- MIT Manipal – Manipal Institute of Technology – Total Fee 8 to INR 1,616,000
- VIT Vellore – Vellore Institute of Technology – Total Fee 8 to : INR 692,000
- SRM University Chennai – SRM Institute of Science and Technology – Total Fee 8 to INR 1,000,000
- DSCE Bangalore – Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering – Total Fee 8 to INR 900000
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras – Total Fee 8 to INR 900000
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi – Total Fee 8 to INR 900000
- IIT Bombay – Indian Institute of Technology – Total fee 8 to INR 908,400
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur – Total Fee Rs 8.4 Lakh
- Parul University – Total Fee 4 to INR 500000
Also Read : Top 5 Engineering Colleges In Rajasthan 2022
Q: Can I do a diploma in chemical engineering?
Ans : Yes, you can do a diploma course after class 10th by passing with at least 45% marks.
Q: Can a Biology student become a Chemical Engineer?
Ans : Yes, of course, but if you have main subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology in class XII.
Q: What is the chemical engineering course fee?
Ans : Chemical Engineering course fee varies from course to course. It ranges from INR 10000 to 1000000.
Q: Can I become a chemical engineer without appearing in the exam?
Ans : Yes, you can do this, you can get admission in a private college after class 12th.
Q: What is the fee for Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ans : Diploma fees range from INR 14000 to 65000 per year.
Q: Will chemical engineering be a good career option?
Ans : Yes, this can be a good career option for you.
Q: Is science stream necessary in class 12th?
Ans : Yes, if you want to become a chemical engineer, then science stream is necessary in class 12th.
Q: After becoming a chemical engineer, where can I do a job?
Ans : After becoming a chemical engineer, you can work in both government and private sectors.
Q: How much is the salary of a chemical engineer?
Ans : The salary of a chemical engineer depends on his experience and the company he joins, generally the salary ranges from 15700 per month to 82000 per month.
Q: Which is the best college for chemical engineering?
Ans : IITs, and NITs are considered to be the best colleges for any engineering.