B.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
According to the 2020 report from Statista.com, every year, 7,82,000 students take admission in the Mechanical Engineering branch in India. Mechanical engineers work with experts from various fields, including automation engineering, manufacturing engineering, robotics, and instrumentation and control engineering. In this blog, you will learn about mechanical engineering in detail.
|Admission Process||Entrance Examinations|
|Course Fee||INR 1 – 15 Lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 7 Lakh|
|Top Career Prospects||Mechanical Engineer, Design Engineer, Assistant Mechanical Engineer, Procurement and Quality Control Executive.|
|Top Recruiter||BMW, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, Tata Motors, Toshiba, GE Global Research etc.|
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and largest branches of engineering. In mechanical engineering, students are made to study the construction of machines, etc. Mechanical engineering is the oldest engineering branch in the world. Because mechanical equipment was the first to be invented, it did not require any kind of electricity or any other object. That is why the branch of mechanical engineering is very big and very old.
Career in Mechanical Engineering: Course Work and Training
Before pursuing a career in mechanical engineering, it is important to give you an overview of the proposed degree program. The mechanical engineering course covers the fundamentals of engineering, mathematics, physics, and chemistry, as well as advanced topics such as heat transfer engineering, product design, mechatronics engineering, and management. The courses in Mechanical Engineering College also provide many opportunities for research activities, workshops, industrial placements, etc. to encourage different modes of development.
Functions of Mechanical Engineers
The functions of a mechanical engineer are given below.
- Mechanical engineers analyze mechanical device problems and solve those problems.
- Let’s develop a prototype of the device.
- Let’s test the prototype.
- Design or redesign a mechanical device.
- Prepare blueprints for the device.
- Analyze test results and make design changes as needed.
- Work for the manufacturing process.
Eligibility for Mechanical Engineering
Professional qualification is a must to make a successful career in mechanical engineering. Thus, having a degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering or any other related field is a must.
- For UG Course: 10+2 formal education with 55% marks in aggregate with Science stream from a recognized school.
- For PG Course: candidates must have secured at least 50% marks in their UG course. selection is done on the basis of GATE scores and personal interviews.
Mechanical Engineering Subjects
The subjects taught in Mechanical Engineering are as follows.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
- Computer Aided Design of Thermal Systems
- Basics of Casting and Solidification
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
- Modeling of Turbulent Combustion
- principal of vibration control
- Railroad Vehicle Dynamics
- Robot Manipulators Dynamics and Control
- change and turmoil
- wave propagation in solids
Top Foreign Universities for Mechanical Engineering
|University||Fee (Annual / Rs.)|
|University of Toronto, Canada||35,45,445 (CAD 58,680)|
|Queens University, Canada||25,49,542 (CAD 42,197)|
|Technical University of Berlin, Germany||19,07,709 (Euro 21,900)|
|RWTH Aachen University, Germany||10,00,000 (Euro 11,494)|
|Massachusetts University of Technology, USA||54,87,000 (USD 73,160)|
|Stanford University, USA||21,11,453 (USD 28,152)|
|University of Melbourne, Australia||24,09,928 (AUD 42,782)|
|University of New South Wales, Australia||3,36,290 (AUD 5,970)|
|Beijing Institute of Technology, China||3,59,281 (RMB 30,600)|
|Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China||3,33,123 (RMB 28,375)|
Top Indian Universities
The names of the top 10 universities in the country offering mechanical engineering courses are given below.
|College||Course Fee (Annual / Rs.)|
|IIT Madras||B.Tech 75,116|
|IIT Delhi||B.Tech 2,20,300|
|IIT Mumbai||B.Tech 2,28,000|
|IIT Kharagpur||B.Tech 82,070|
|Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education||B.Tech 1,20,600|
|IIT kanpur||B.Tech 2,15,600|
|IIT Roorkee||B.Tech 2,21,700|
M.Tech 6,50,000 (Total Fees)
|BITS Pilani||B.Tech 5,08,475|
|IIT Guwahati||B.Tech 2,19,350|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||B.Tech 1,98,000|
To take admission in any course, you must know its process. To become a mechanical engineer in India and abroad, you have to follow the below-mentioned process step by step.
Application process for mechanical engineering abroad
Application process for mechanical engineering abroad
- Register on the official website of the university. For admission in the UK, you must register by visiting the UCAS website (UCAS). From here, you will get the user ID and password.
- Sign in with your user ID and choose a course to take.
- Now, in the next step, you enter your educational details.
- Fill in the details, such as IELTS, TOEFL, the entrance exam score, SOP, and LOR, along with the educational qualification.
- Fill out the job details from previous years.
- Pay the registration fee.
- Finally, submit the application form.
- Following selection, some universities will invite candidates to a virtual interview.
Application process for India
- Step 1: Firstly, the applicant must have completed 12 years of basic education and have taken the science stream in high school.
- Step 2: To become an irrigation engineer, you have to first apply for the entrance exam. Students can apply for national-level exams like JEE Main, state-level exams like KCET, or university-level exams like SRMJEEE, VITEEE, etc.
- Step 3: Choose whether you want to take the exam online or offline.
- Step 4: On the basis of the marks obtained in the entrance exam, the students will be assessed. A merit list of shortlisted students will be issued.
- Step 5: Shortlisted students are called for counselling by the university, after which their admission is ensured.
Also Read : B.Tech. (Information Technology)
The following documents are required to take admission to Mechanical Engineering Colleges abroad :
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards.
- Passport size photo
- Passport photocopy
- English Language Proficiency Test Marks
- Letter of Recommendation or LOR
- Statement of Purpose
Career in Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical engineering graduates can either work in the industries of manufacturing, systems manufacturing, or designing. At the same time, after a B.Tech., you can also choose the option of a PhD or become a researcher in universities and organizations.
- Apart from this, after a few years of experience in the industry, one can also get a degree like an MBA or Master of Management Studies for higher positions. Let us have a look at the career options in this field.
Mechanical Engineering Career List
- Automotive Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Engineering Consultant
- Nuclear Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
After studying mechanical engineering, you can choose to work in the areas of design, production and development of vehicles in this field. May take care of financial and cost management along with handling responsibilities for improving exhaust, hydraulics, aerodynamics, emissions systems.
While working as an aerospace engineer you work in the design and improvement of mechanical systems like aircraft, satellites, weapon systems, missiles etc. In addition, one can choose to specialize in a specific component of the aircraft. Aerospace engineers also work in the investigation of aircraft accidents. A career in mechanical engineering in this field requires a combination of an advanced degree as well as a few years of industry experience.
Manufacturing Systems Engineer
Manufacturing process systems and mechanical engineering in many industries offer a variety of opportunities to make a career. Common tasks may include checking the quality of raw materials, checking for wastage of goods and many other responsibilities.
Typically considered a senior role in management, engineering consultants are in charge of large-scale projects that involve heavy use of both core engineering and managerial skills
Manufacturing Systems Engineer
While serving as a nuclear engineer, you work to design and maintain nuclear power plants to maintain efficiency and stability. In addition, tasks may include health, safety, supervision, operational problem solving, etc. Nuclear engineers are also often in contact with the government.
Other career options for you in mechanical engineering are as follows.
- CAD Technician
- Instrumentation and control engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- technical sales engineer
- Production manager
To find good job opportunities to start a career in Mechanical Engineering, given below are some of the top organizations that you can target-
- Tata Group
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Honda Siel Car Division
- Larsen And Toubro
- National Aluminum Company Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Bosch India
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Godrej Group
- Thyssen Group
Mechanical Engineering Govt Jobs
Given below is the list of organizations that conduct government jobs for Mechanical Engineering.
- Indian Rail
- Oil India
- Airport Authority
- Coal India
- Aeronautics Limited
Mechanical Engineer Job Profile and Salary
The job profile and salary/annual available after doing mechanical engineering are as follows.
|Job Profile||Starting Level Salary||Mid Level Salary||Senior Level Salary|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||3,00,000||4,50,000||10,00,000|
What is work in mechanical engineering?
For information, let us tell you that mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and most comprehensive subjects. It deals with heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools.
What is the salary of a mechanical engineer?
Speaking about the salary of a mechanical engineer after doing mechanical engineering, it can vary according to the job profile. But if we talk about the estimated salary, then it can be more than 18,000 to 50,000 rupees per month. Apart from this, one can also work abroad as a mechanical engineer.
How long is the mechanical engineering course?
If you want to become a mechanical engineer after finishing high school, you must enrol in a polytechnic institute.You will be able to pursue a three-year diploma with this.After completing a 3- to 4-year degree, you can get a good job in a good position.
How do I go about becoming a mechanical engineer?
A student must have completed the 12th grade with PCM in order to become a mechanical engineer.After the 12th grade, a student can fulfil his dream of becoming a mechanical engineer by doing a B.Tech. or diploma course in mechanical engineering.
How many subjects are there in mechanical engineering?
There is a semester of six months, and in a semester we have to study five subjects.
I hope you find the Mechanical Engineering blog interesting. If you want to study mechanical engineering abroad, then book a free session today by calling our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000.