B.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
According to the 2020 report of Statista.com, every year 7,82,000 students take admission in Mechanical Engineering branch in India. Mechanical engineers work with experts from various fields of automation engineering, manufacturing engineering, robotics, and instrumentation and control engineering. In this blog you will learn about Mechanical Engineering in detail.
|Admission Process||Entrance Examinations|
|Course Fee||INR 1 – 15 Lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 2 – 7 Lakh|
|Top Career Prospects||Mechanical Engineer, Design Engineer, Assistant Mechanical Engineer, Procurement and Quality Control Executive.|
|Top Recruiter||BMW, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, Tata Motors, Toshiba, GE Global Research etc.|
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and largest branches of engineering. In mechanical engineering, students are made to study about the construction of machines etc. Mechanical engineering is the oldest engineering branch in the world. Because mechanical equipment was the first to be invented, it did not require any kind of electricity or any other object. That is why the branch of Mechanical Engineering is very big and very old.
Career in Mechanical Engineering: Course Work and Training
Before pursuing a career in mechanical engineering, it is important to give you an overview of the proposed degree program. Mechanical engineering course covers the fundamentals of engineering, mathematics, physics and chemistry as well as advanced topics such as heat transfer engineering, product design, mechatronics engineering, management. The courses in Mechanical Engineering College also provide many opportunities for research activities, workshops, industrial placements etc. to encourage different modes of development.
Functions of Mechanical Engineers
The functions of a mechanical engineer are given below.
- Mechanical engineers analyze mechanical device problems and solve those problems.
- Let’s develop a prototype of the device.
- Let’s test the prototype.
- Design or redesign a mechanical device.
- Prepare blueprints for the device.
- Analyze test results and make design changes as needed.
- Work for the manufacturing process.
Eligibility for Mechanical Engineering
Professional qualification is a must to make a successful career in mechanical engineering. Thus, having a degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering or any other related field is a must.
- For UG Course: 10+2 formal education with 55% marks in aggregate with Science stream from a recognized school.
- For PG Course: Degree like BTech or BE in Mechanical Engineering with minimum of 3.0 GPA with 50% marks.
- Candidates need to obtain GRE score to get admission in postgraduate course in this field.
- A good score in English language proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL, etc if you want to do mechanical engineering abroad.
- LOR and SOP.
Mechanical Engineering Subjects
The subjects taught in Mechanical Engineering are as follows.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
- Computer Aided Design of Thermal Systems
- Basics of Casting and Solidification
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
- Modeling of Turbulent Combustion
- principal of vibration control
- Railroad Vehicle Dynamics
- Robot Manipulators Dynamics and Control
- change and turmoil
- wave propagation in solids
Top Foreign Universities for Mechanical Engineering
|University||Fee (Annual / Rs.)|
|University of Toronto, Canada||35,45,445 (CAD 58,680)|
|Queens University, Canada||25,49,542 (CAD 42,197)|
|Technical University of Berlin, Germany||19,07,709 (Euro 21,900)|
|RWTH Aachen University, Germany||10,00,000 (Euro 11,494)|
|Massachusetts University of Technology, USA||54,87,000 (USD 73,160)|
|Stanford University, USA||21,11,453 (USD 28,152)|
|University of Melbourne, Australia||24,09,928 (AUD 42,782)|
|University of New South Wales, Australia||3,36,290 (AUD 5,970)|
|Beijing Institute of Technology, China||3,59,281 (RMB 30,600)|
|Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China||3,33,123 (RMB 28,375)|
Top Indian Universities
The names of the top 10 universities in the country offering mechanical engineering courses are given below.
|College||Course Fee (Annual / Rs.)|
|IIT Madras||B.Tech 75,116|
|IIT Delhi||B.Tech 2,20,300|
|IIT Mumbai||B.Tech 2,28,000|
|IIT Kharagpur||B.Tech 82,070|
|Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education||B.Tech 1,20,600|
|IIT kanpur||B.Tech 2,15,600|
|IIT Roorkee||B.Tech 2,21,700|
M.Tech 6,50,000 (Total Fees)
|BITS Pilani||B.Tech 5,08,475|
|IIT Guwahati||B.Tech 2,19,350|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||B.Tech 1,98,000|
To take admission in any course, you must know its process. To become a mechanical engineer in India and abroad, you have to follow the below-mentioned process step by step.
Application process for mechanical engineering abroad
Application process for mechanical engineering abroad
- Register on the official website of the university. For admission in the UK, you must register by visiting the UCAS website (UCAS). From here you will get the User ID and Password.
- Sign in with User ID and select the course you want to choose.
- Now in the next step, you enter your educational details.
- Fill the details like IELTS, TOEFL, Entrance Exam Score, SOP, LOR along with educational qualification.
- Fill the job details of previous years.
- Pay the registration fee.
- Finally submit the application form.
- There are some universities which invite for virtual interview after selection.
Application process for India
- Step 1: Firstly the applicant must have completed 12 years of basic education and must have science stream in 12th.
- Step 2: To become an Irrigation Engineer you have to first apply for the entrance exam. Student can apply for national level exam like JEE Main or state level exam like KCET or university level exam like SRMJEEE, VITEEE etc.
- Step 3: You have to appear the exam based on your mode of exam online or offline.
- Step 4: On the basis of the marks obtained in the entrance exam, the students will be assessed. A merit list of shortlisted students will be issued.
- Step 5: Shortlisted students are called for counseling by the university, after which the admission of the students is ensured.
Also Read : B.Tech. (Information Technology)
The following documents are required to take admission in Mechanical Engineering College:
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards.
- Passport size photo
- Passport photo copy
- English Language Proficiency Test Marks
- Letter of Recommendation or LOR
- Statement of Purpose
Career in Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical engineering graduates can either work in the industries of manufacturing, systems, manufacturing or designing. At the same time, after B.Tech, you can also choose the option of PhD or you can become a researcher in universities and organizations.
- Apart from this, after a few years of experience in the industry, one can also get a degree like MBA or Master of Management Studies for higher positions. Let us have a look at the career options in this field.
Mechanical Engineering Career List
- Automotive Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Engineering Consultant
- Nuclear Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
After studying mechanical engineering, you can choose to work in the areas of design, production and development of vehicles in this field. May take care of financial and cost management along with handling responsibilities for improving exhaust, hydraulics, aerodynamics, emissions systems.
While working as an aerospace engineer you work in the design and improvement of mechanical systems like aircraft, satellites, weapon systems, missiles etc. In addition, one can choose to specialize in a specific component of the aircraft. Aerospace engineers also work in the investigation of aircraft accidents. A career in mechanical engineering in this field requires a combination of an advanced degree as well as a few years of industry experience.
Manufacturing Systems Engineer
Manufacturing process systems and mechanical engineering in many industries offer a variety of opportunities to make a career. Common tasks may include checking the quality of raw materials, checking for wastage of goods and many other responsibilities.
Typically considered a senior role in management, engineering consultants are in charge of large-scale projects that involve heavy use of both core engineering and managerial skills
Manufacturing Systems Engineer
While serving as a nuclear engineer, you work to design and maintain nuclear power plants to maintain efficiency and stability. In addition, tasks may include health, safety, supervision, operational problem solving, etc. Nuclear engineers are also often in contact with the government.
Other career options for you in mechanical engineering are as follows.
- CAD Technician
- Instrumentation and control engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- technical sales engineer
- Production manager
To find good job opportunities to start a career in Mechanical Engineering, given below are some of the top organizations that you can target-
- Tata Group
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Honda Siel Car Division
- Larsen And Toubro
- National Aluminum Company Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Bosch India
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Godrej Group
- Thyssen Group
Mechanical Engineering Govt Jobs
Given below is the list of organizations that conduct government jobs for Mechanical Engineering.
- Indian Rail
- Oil India
- Airport Authority
- Coal India
- Aeronautics Limited
Mechanical Engineer Job Profile and Salary
The job profile and salary/annual available after doing mechanical engineering are as follows.
|Job Profile||Starting Level Salary||Mid Level Salary||Senior Level Salary|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||3,00,000||4,50,000||10,00,000|
What is work in mechanical engineering?
For information, let us tell you that Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest and most comprehensive subjects. It deals with heat and mechanical power for the designing, production and operation of machines and tools.
What is the salary of mechanical engineer?
Talking about the salary of a mechanical engineer after doing mechanical engineering, it can vary according to the job profile. But if we talk about the estimated salary, then it can be more than 18,000 to 50,000 rupees per month. Apart from this, one can also work abroad as a mechanical engineer.
How long is the Mechanical Engineering course?
If you want to become a mechanical engineer after 10th class then you have to take admission in polytechnic. With which you will be able to take 3 years diploma. After completing 3-4 years degree, you can get a good job in a good position.
How to become Mechanical Engineering?
To become a mechanical engineer, a student should have passed 12th with PCM subject. After 12th, a student can fulfill his dream of becoming a mechanical engineer by doing B.Tech or diploma course in mechanical engineering.
How many subjects are there in mechanical engineering?
There is a semester of 6 months and in a semester we have to study 5 subjects.
Hope you enjoy Mechanical Engineering blog. If you want to study mechanical engineering abroad, then book a free session today by calling our Leverage Edu experts on the number 1800 572 000.